Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Seeing true importance...



       It’s been a time since I last blogged. Since then I have turned the ripe age of 23, I will tell of all the festivities of this past week/weekend in a later post. For now I would like to share what has been on my heart for the last few days.


     The other evening we were traveling back to our home from my parents. Often times, when taking a long car ride, it’s easier for me to be still or quiet myself long enough to hear what the Lord is speaking...either way this night I felt very compelled and my heart was convicted.


      As we grow older, buy a house and someday in the future will have a family, material things seem to become more and more important. Joe and I have a List of things we need, and although not all the things on the list are "needed", there are many that in fact are. I am a list type of girl and I quite enjoy checking things off of the "need" list, but oddly enough that list never shrinks, why is that? Then of course we have the list that is formed in our minds over time of how our lives will play out and what we "need" to precede comfortably through life, things like education degrees and better careers, ultimately everything that leads to money and an easier life. Having goals and seeing a vision for your life and family is not wrong, but often times we allow this obsession with having "more" to cloud the true purposes that God has for us or we ignore them because we haven’t got the time.


       The other evening in the car I made Joe promise me that we would hold each other accountable in this...to not allow the things that truly matter such as our relationship with Lord and our desire for mission's to not slip by the wayside because of our "plans" for our life. How easy is it to get caught up in the mess of life and forget the most important and valuable things?.... Living out a life of holiness, pursuing God and going where He sends. 


Hebrews
13:5 (The Message)


5-6 "Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote,


God is there, ready to help;


I'm fearless no matter what.


Who or what can get to me?"

Angela

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Angela, that was a great blog and really challenged me to stay focused on what is eternal. We're so proud of you and Joe, you guys are amazing. Just make sure you don't forget to keep the iPhone on your list. :)

Angela said...

Awe thank you Mr Don and Ms. Debi...it means so much to me...love you both very much!
I'll be sure to keep the iphone on the list :)